Monticiano - In the 12th century, this agricultural
and holiday centre (375m, pop 1875) had a castle belonging
to the bishops of Volterra (remains of the walls still exist),
which then came under Sienesedomination. In the piazza at
the entrance to the village stands the late-Romanesque "church
of Sant'Agostino"(1291-1362), with a Baroque interior.
In the adjacent former monastery, the chapter house is decorated
with a cycle of monochrom frescoes (depicting the Passion)
by Sienese painters and the "Virgin Enthronedwith St
Augustine and the Blessed Antony de'Patrizzi" by a Sienese
painter influenced by Taddeo di Bartolo(1422).
Higher up, in the old part of the village, is located the
"church of Santi Giusto e Clemente", founded in
the 12th century, with a facade in square-hewn stone, a portal
decorated with palmettes and a curious small bell-tower.
How to reach Monticiano: From Siena take direction
Grosseto, after 24 Km turn right direction San Lorenzo a Merse.
After 10 km you will reach Monticiano.
Where is Monticiano: is located in the south/west
of Siena province, in the border with the province of Grosseto.
See the map
Nearby: San Galgano, Terme di Petriolo
Distances: Siena 35 Km - Florence 100 Km - Pisa 145
Km - Arezzo 90 Km
Correct name is Monticiano
Common mistakes are Monti Ciano, Monticyano, Monticciano