Monteriggioni - is a beautifully
preserved medieval fortified village, built on a hillock.
The circle of walls, dating from the
13C and the largest of its kind in Tuscany to have survived
practically intact, has fourteen towers.
Monteriggioni is mentioned by Dante:
Divina Commedia. Inferno, xxxi. 41-44 '...come in su la cerchia
londa Monteriggioni di torri si corona'
A main street crosses the village,
joining the two gates. A few houses and a pretty Romanesque
church face onto the piazza, and other houses surround a small
public garden. Inside the walls are other private gardens.
Siena transformed Monteriggioni in the imposing Fortress
to protection of the boundary north in the wars against the
enemy Florence. Inside Monteriggioni there were in XIV century
beyond 150 families with about 600 inhabitant.
The wall was arised since 1213 (see the headstone on the
Romea Gate) until 1219 and then they strengthen in varied
years (1260, 1279) until the 1545.
The wall up of Monteriggioni are long beyond 500 meters,
tall twenty meters and surrounded from 14 towers to square
How to reach Monteriggioni: From Siena take direction
Florence and after 12 Km find the sign for Monteriggioni
Where is Monteriggioni: is located in the north of
Siena province, between the Chianti area and Val d' Elsa See
Nearby: Visit Colle val d' Elsa, San Gimignano
Distances: Siena 15 Km - Florence 50 Km - Pisa 95
Km - Arezzo 80 Km
Correct name is Monteriggioni
Common mistakes are Monteriigini,
Monterigggyoni, Monte Rigioni, Mount Riggione