Populonia - Populonia was the
only ancient Etruscan city situated on the sea.
It was also the biggest centre on the Mediterranean specialized
in the smelting of iron from ore extracted on the nearby Island
of Elba. It is situated on the top of a hill, with the sea
The walls which are of medieval origin were built for defence
against the Barbary pirates. Additional fortifications were
built in the first half of the 15th century by Iacopo Appiani
II and restored in 1800.
Within the walls there is a quaint little village with some
elegant shops. From the top of the fortress there is a magnificent
view of the Tuscan Archipelago.
In Populonia there is also a privately owned museum in which
Etruscan and Roman finds from excavations in the area and
from the sea-bed are exhibited.
The statue known as the Apollo of Piombino, now in the Louvre
in Paris, was found in the waters of the Gulf of Baratti.
Where is Populonia: is located in the south of Livorno
province, in front of the Elba island
How to reach Populonia: From Livorno, direction south
Grosseto on the SS2. After 56 Km exit San Vincenzo. Follow
for Piombino and after 13 Km turn right for Baratti and Populonia
Nearby: Visit Campiglia Marittima, Suvereto.
Distances: Livorno 76 Km - Florence 140 Km - Pisa
90 Km - Siena 95 Km - Grosseto 70 Km
Correct name is Populonia
Common mistakes are Popilonia,