Monte San Savino - Arezzo - Tuscany Italy

abcTuscany

Arezzo
Map of Arezzo

Arezzo town
Anghiari
Ambra
Bucine
Castiglion Fibocchi
Castiglion Fiorentino
Cortona
Foiano della Chiana
Gargonza
Laterina
Loro Ciuffenna
Lucignano
Marciano della Chiana
Monterchi
Monte San Savino
Rapale

 

 

 

Monte San Savino

Monte San Savino - Monte San Savino was an Etruscan town. It was fortified in Roman times around a castle called Area alta.

In the 13th century it was a possession of the Ubertini, lords of Arezzo, but in 1325, because it sided with the Guelphs supported by Florence, the Ghibelline bishop of Arezzo, Guido Tarlati, had the castle walls knocked down.

In 1337 the town became a dominion of Perugia, then it belonged to Siena and finally to Florence in 1384. In 1550 Duke Cosimo de' Medici granted Monte San Savino as a personal fief to Baldovino del Monte, brother of Pope Julius III.

Successively, the fief of Monte San Savino was ruled by the Orsini marquises (until 1640), Mattias de Medici (until 1667) and Vittoria della Rovere (until 1694). In 1748 the town was finally restored to grand-ducal dominion. By decree of the President of the Republic (22 July 1991) Monte San Savino was granted the title of city. Of the famous people born here, we draw your attention to the members of the Monte family: Cardinal Antonio, Giovanni Maria who became Pope Julius III and Pietro, a grand master of the order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem.

Monte San Savino is surrounded by sloping walls with four gates: the main one, Porta Fiorentina, Porta Romana, Porta San Giovanni and the so called porticciolo.

Some of the principal monuments are in piazza Gamurrini. The town museum is in the castle. The steeple built in 1643 in honour of Mattias de Medici towers over the square. In 1652 the Church of Saint Clare was built next to the castle. Inside one can admire a work of art by Sansovino featuring the Virgin with Baby Jesus and Saints, an altarpiece by Sansovino of Saint Laurence, Saint Rocco and Saint Sebastian, a Crib and a statue of Saint Anthony the Abbot. Palazzo Di Monte is on corso Sangallo.

Opposite the building one can see the elegant profile of the Loggias, probably the work of Sansovino. Further on, the old parish church (late 11th century) named after Saint Egidio and Saint Savino contains the sarcophagus of Fabiano Ciocchi Di Monte. Palazzo Pretorio is opposite the church.

Where is Monte San Savino: is located in the south of Arezzo province, on the border with the province of Siena.

How to reach Monte San Savino: From Arezzo take the road E78 and exit Monte san Savino, 20 Km far

Nearby: Visit Lucignano, Cortona, Castiglion Fiorentino

Distances: Arezzo 20 Km - Florence 85 Km - Siena 41 Km - Pisa 150 Km

Correct name is Monte San Savino
Common mistakes are
Munte, Mount, Sabino, Salino, Sarino, Monte Sansavino

 


Monte San Savino
Photo gallery
Virtual view
Accommodations
Blogs
Luxury villas
Luxury Villas in Tuscany
Luxury villas in Tuscany

Tuscany villa rentals
Rentals in Tuscany
Selection of villas and farmhouses to rent

Tours in Tuscany
Tours in Tuscany
Hiking, biking and other tours in the area

Tuscany real estate
Tuscany real estate
Villas, vineyards and homes for sale

Main Menu | Info | Tell a friend | Pubblicità
Sections: Florence | Siena | Arezzo | Pisa | Livorno | Grosseto
Villas in: Florence | Siena | Arezzo | Pisa | Livorno | Grosseto
Hotels and B&B in: Florence | Siena | Arezzo | Pisa | Livorno | Grosseto

all the images and text are copyright of Toscanet.com