Bucine - The municipal district
of Bucine encompasses an area of over 13,111 hectares; it
has an almost oval shape, with the long axis running north
The whole territory is drained by river
Ambra (hence the name Val-dambra) and its affluents. The Ambra
flows from north to south and divides the territoiy into two
almost symmetrical portions. From its source in the municipal
district of Gaiole in Chianti, its course runs for about 53
km before joining the Arno near Levanella. The Ambra tends
to flood in wintertime and dry up in the summer.
The neighbouring municipal districts
are Montevarchi and Pergine Valdarno to the north, Pergine
Valdarno and Civitella in Val di Chiana to the east, Monte
San Savino, Rapolano Terme and Castelnuovo Berardenga to the
south, and Castelnuovo Berardenga, Gaiole in Chianti and Montevarchi
to the west.
From the thirteenth century, the Counts Guidi di Modigliana
owned the part of the territory where the castles of Bucine,
Pogi, Torre S. Reparata, Galatrona, Caposelvi and Rendola
were located. In 1225 all these Castles were under the protection
of Arezzo and its Viscount, Orlando degli Albergotti. In the
same period the Umbertini di Chitignano owned the upper valley
which included Ambra, Rapale, Sogna, Badia a Ruoti and Pietraviva.
The Abbey of S.Maria dAgnano had jurisdiction over Capannole,
Castiglion Alberti and S.Pancrazio as well as the town of
Agnano. Even Tarlati dArezzo had estates there, and
in approximately 1325 they siezed the castle of Bucine from
But the interests of these feudal lords inevitably clashed
with the expansionistic policies of the Florentine Republic.
From 1335, the territories of Bucine, Cennina, Galatrona,
Torri, Rendola, S. Reparata and Valdambra Fiorentina became
part of the domain of Florence and were organized into Podesteria
(mayorships). This annexation was ratified by the Treaty of
Sarzana in 1353. In the following decades the Florentine Republic
strengthened its influence in the area. In 1360 the Republic
formed a League which took the name of Valdambra
and, in the years between the 14th and the 15th centuries,
conquered the upper Ambra valley, until then in the domain
of the Ubertini.
In 1645 Ferdinando II dei Medici raised the Comune di Bucine
to the status of feud and invested Giulio Vitelli with the
fief of Marquisate. In 1738 the investiture passed to Niccolò
Vitelli. The remaining part of the Valdambra continued to
be a Podesteria constituted only by the territories
of the Cinque Comuni Distrettuali (five Districts).
During the period of French domination, Bucine assumed the
administrative organization of the Mairies. Until
1811, the town was part of the Dipartimento della Prefettura
dellArno and the Circondario di Arezzo; afterwards the
Podesteria of Bucine Valdambra was reconstituted, covering
its original area and including 24 town. This is why the present
territory is so spread out. Many personalities were born and
lived in this area: Gregorio Stendardi, known as Goro
da Montebenichi, a condottiere who supported the Florentine
Republic under the orders of Francesco Ferrucci (1529); Niccolò
Angeli, known as Angelo Bucinese, a superb Latinist
(16th century); and Sanleolini da S. Leolino, a man of letters
and a poet (18th century).
Where is Bucine: is located in the east of Arezzo
province, on the border with the province of Siena.
How to reach Bucine: From Arezzo direction north on
the S69, exit Levane and follow for Bucine 3 Km
Nearby: Visit Arezzo, Siena, Loro Ciuffenna
Distances: Arezzo 25 Km - Siena 35 Km - Florence 60
Correct name is Bucine
Common mistakes are Butine, Buccine, Buzine