Ambra - The town of Ambra consists
of an ancient castle on a hill on the left bank of the river
of the same name, and a still- expanding village that has
developed in the course of the centuries at the foot of the
original stronghold, in the small space on the valley floor.
The toponym Ambra is pre-E-truscan:
like the similar names Ombrone and Ambrella, it is derived
from an Umbrian substratum.
By the beginning of the 13th century,
Ambra was, like other castles in the valley, ruled by the
Ubertini of Chiti-gnano, and was later a viscounty of the
Aretine church. Its defences were pulled down in in the mid-15th
century, following the battles between Arezzo and Florence.
In 1385, the Ubertini placed Ambra
under the protection of Florence. In 1386 Florence bought
the Uber-tinis' remaining rights in the valley for 3162 gold
florins. Ambra was thus annexed to the Florentine county,
and became the capital of all the recently acquired lands
and communities, which were joined under the name "Valdambra
Nuova". Since then, Ambra has followed the course of
Florentine history. It was annexed to the Comune di Bucine
during the "Leopoldine" reform of 1772-74.
Where is Ambra: is located in the east of Arezzo province,
on the border with the province of Siena
How to reach Ambra: From Arezzo, direction north Florence,
exit Levane and follow for Bucine. After Bucine follow for
Ambra which is 7 Km far
Nearby: Visit Monte San Savino, Castelnuovo Berardenga,
San Gusmè, the Chianti area
Distances: Arezzo 30 Km - Florence 55 Km - Siena 30
Correct name is Ambra
Common mistakes are Amvra, Hambra, Ambria